WHAT REVISION IS MADE OF
Elana K. Arnold is the author of many books for young readers, including WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF, a finalist for the 2017 National Book Award. She has written picture books, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult, and is an extraordinary writer and teacher: deeply intelligent, insightful, and infinitely supportive.
Elana will lead an interactive workshop focused on revision techniques. You will learn how to see your work and its underlying structure, and how to revise the book's elements until they sing. Martha Brockenbrough, your retreat host, will also talk about writing synopses, and how these can help you keep your work on track.
The retreat includes:
- Lodging for three days and two nights in a serene, luxurious home. (Feel free to take a video tour.)
- Food: Five meals and snacks (Friday snack & dinner; Saturday breakfast, lunch, snack & dinner; Sunday brunch)
- Personalized instruction: Each participant gets an hourlong consultation with Martha based on pre-submitted writing plus an editorial letter for you to ponder.
- Ample time to revise, with support along the way if you need it.
- Supportive conversation and reading. In the evenings we'll unwind with chatting, optional (brief) readings of our work, as well as delightful beverages of all sorts.
- Stunning environment: Walk or drive to the beach, ride bicycles, or jog the oyster shell-lined paths. There's also a private hot tub and you may use the community fitness center or pool.
Take a 3-D tour of the retreat facility:
READY TO BOOK YOUR ROOM?
Reserve early to get the room of your choice. Please be sure to read our policies about refunds first. Rates include your room & board, instruction, and optional bike rides and other activities. This does not include transportation to Seabrook, WA (although if you're coming in from out of town, we can almost certainly get you a ride from the airport.)